It’s the festive season, the time when we make merry, eat, and drink all in the name CHRISTMAS. BREAKING NEWS!!!!!! Santa’s fit for Christmas. He’s made significant changes to the menu so that he can get all those gifts out. He’s really keeping tabs and working on his abs. He makes sure he’s in shape before coming to town, and he wants everyone to join in on this fantastic journey. “Eat, drink and keep fit” is what Santa is about during the festive season.
We all know exercise is a fun way to stay fit and healthy but the festive season means a lot of food and drinks. Loads of unwanted calories are enticing you, calling your name to have a taste. And guess who gets blamed when you add the extra weight? I don’t need to answer that for you.
I’d like you to ask yourself one simple question “Is Christmas a great time to exercise, or is it the one time of the year when it’s OK to stay on the sofa?” My answer is that the choices you made over the holidays can and will affect you today. What I want you to do, without putting much pressure on yourself, is to ease yourself into a fitness regime this festive season. Don’t give yourself a huge mountain to climb, start now and you will feel fitter and healthier throughout Christmas and into the New Year. You decide!
Let’s run through a few tips to keep you active, fresh, strong and energetic this holiday season. What are the easy steps you can follow to stay fit? What kind of healthy lifestyle plan is best?
- Exercising has to be fun and exciting. Just being a bit more active can make a difference in burning off extra calories. Remember, do what you enjoy, create something that is fun, involve family and friends, so it’s teamwork. There are a wide range of different exercises you can pick from, ranging from aerobic classes, dance classes, beach soccer, running, spinning classes, house chores with the kids, washing the car with family and so on. The most important thing is that you are moving and being more active. If you haven’t exercised in a while, please make sure you consult with your doctor, start slow and gradually work your energy level up.
- Be realistic and set goals. Spend time planning your health and fitness goals, ensuring they are challenging but practical. Be positive, confident and believe in yourself that you have what it takes to achieve them.
- Be patient. Fitness and weight loss don’t happen overnight. Setting a time frame is important. Set mini goals to work with as you proceed – the idea is to give you something more immediate and simple to aim for, and help you build confidence in yourself.
- Keep a Fitness and diet journal to monitor your progress, see where you can adjust when you falter and help motivate you to stay focused on your goals.
- Get lean and fit this New Year with Santa’s terrific workout routine. He calls it FITMAS!!
Jog on one spot for 1 minute (rest 20 seconds) Dance to your favourite music for 1 minute (rest 20 seconds) Jump Jacks for 40 seconds (rest for 20 seconds) Dance to your favourite music for 1 minute (rest 20 seconds) Jog on one spot for 1 minute (rest 20 seconds)
Set your playlist according to the list below so your Fitmas workout is exciting, invite family and friends to join in this process, try to perform 10 repetitions of each exercise* with as little rest as possible. Then repeat the circuit as many times as you can manage.
- Shoki Squats
- Skelewu Lunges
- Ojuelegba Burpees
- Anointing Renegades
- Emergency high knees
- Dance for me Press Ups
- Sample You Mountain Climbers
- Eleko Crunches
- Bank Alert Bunny Hops
- Bad gang Star Jumps
- Ohema Leg Raises
- Ibile Plank (just 1×60 second hold)
Seun Fadina, CEO BFS LIFESTYLE is a Professional Fitness Consultant and creator of a dance fitness experience called DANCE2GETFIT. He offers personal training services to customers with different needs and health conditions. He has had several television and radio appearances on Nigeria’s leading media outlets including MTV Base, 53 Extra, EbonyLife TV, Rhythm 93.7, Classic FM, Smooth FM, Super Sports, Inspiration FM, 1 Music. He has also made contributions to Ovation Magazine, Etisalat Geek Force Internship Contest 2013, The GAME 2013 and several Corporate Organizations. He presently hosts the fitness segment on the Good Morning Nigeria show (COOL TV). He is also the Personal Fitness Trainer for – Dodan Warriors 1st Division Professional Basketball Team, and celebrities within the Fashion, Entertainment, and Art industries.